The best trip ever?

This really was amazing!!!

Kanchenjunga


Hi reader,

Hope you're doing good ;)

 

So if you have read most of my blogs (If you haven't please check all of them out), you probably know that I travel a lot. I love travel and take every opportunity to go on at least a 30 minute tour. Many of you must be wondering "Hey Diya, of all the places you've gone, which was your most favorite? Maybe it was that beach trip you blogged about earlier or maybe you had a trip abroad that you haven't blogged about yet".

 

Don't worry, there is an answer to that burning question. For starters I haven't been abroad before so no, it wasn't in Japan or Canada (But I may be able to go when Covid-19 ends). It was actually my trip to Kalimpong, West Bengal that was my favorite.(It was 2 years ago)

 

Oh, I didn't write about the Kalimpong trip? No problem, let me write about it now.

 

It went a bit like this…


Day - 1

Normally we set out on trips by car from our house. This time along with my parents and aunt, I had traveled to my maternal grandparents (They were coming too) house in Siliguri,WB and 2 weeks later, was going on this journey to Kalimpong,on the lesser Himalayas๐ŸŒ„ by a rented jeep.


Our journey went the usual way any trip with my grandparents does. Me and my grandfather were ready to go but the rest of the household were rushing around like the first scene in Home Alone-1.

After some time we were all ready to go. I climbed onto the back of the jeep with my Dad and the luggage, my aunt,mom and grandmother were in the middle row and my grandfather and the driver were up front. We drove a few kilometers and ate breakfast in a restaurant in Sevoke. Post lunch we visited a plantation full of cactus plants. We saw normal cacti, flower bearing cacti, oddly colored cacti, basically lots of cacti. (Bonus:In the left-side  picture, try to spot two dogs๐Ÿถ)

kalimpong
kalimpong

We bought two small cacti and then drove uphill (we also saw river Teesta) that's when the fog came to greet us. For some reason I really like the sight of fog, so the view was breathtaking (Even though we could see nothing but fog). We drove to the famous Durpin Monastery where we did a bit of sightseeing.

 


kalimpongkalimpong

kalimpong

The monastery was beautiful. We could even see a small school from up there (The kids in that school are very lucky to study in this type of environment). After having a good time there, we drove higher, from here we could see At noon, we parked our car and walked up a steep road to eat WB's most favorite dish, the dumpling (or Momo as it is called here). We had a lunch of momos and thukhpa (noodles with soup).


kalimpongkalimpong

At about 3:00 p.m, the sky had become much clearer. We decided to visit a famous view point. Not only did we get an awesome view, there was also a swing and a small tea shop


We finally reached our hotel (The Yuru Retreat) at 4:30 p.m. After checking into our dorm (There were no normal rooms available at that time and there were 6 of us), we drank some tea (I drank hot chocolate).


kalimpong

Then at 4:45 p.m, we visited the Delo park. It was a large open space where you can walk. It was the best part of the trip. Just look at these pictures!


kalimpongkalimpong

kalimpongkalimpong


kalimpongkalimpong


kalimpongkalimpong

We spent a few hours at Delo park and came back when it was too cold. We had dinner and went to sleep (It was so cold, the fur blankets felt like ice) I was looking out the window and looked at a very dark place (so dark,it looked vantablack) I thought it was just some plains. I was disappointed that I couldn't see any signs of Himalayan ranges. I expected to atleast see a small peak. I was sad and just went to sleep.

But I was so wrong! Next day I woke up suddenly at 7 a.m because I was sleeping dangerously close to the edge of the bed and was slowly starting to glide of the rather high bed. I glanced at the window and made a shocking discovery. The vantablack space I had seen last night was in fact, a part of the Himalayan range containing Kanchenjunga!(even Mount Everest!) We all went to the terrace to watch the spectacular sight.

kalimpongkalimpong


kalimpongkalimpong

After seeing a spectacular view and eating breakfast, we drove a long way back to Siliguri. And 2 years later, still regard this as arguably the best trip ever (for now atleast).

kalimpong

Hope you liked the trip as much as I did. See you in the next blog.

✋✋✋

Comments

  1. Beautifully written and great pictures! North Bengal is beautiful, right out of a postcard pic! Travel, explore and keep sharing your experiences with us๐Ÿ˜ Shine on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nina! And did you notice that the pic you took is the first pic of the blog?

      Delete
  2. Seems like an amazing vacation, beautiful places and lovely pics. The pic of the coffee mug against the mountains is especially beautiful. The momo looks yummy. As you travel so much do share more and more of your travel experiences ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that pic too! I do have a lot of trips to write about in my blog and combined with the extra time I have these days, they'll all be published from time to time :)

      Delete
  3. Very glad to read your nice blog about my beautiful home city Kalimpong. I am so lucky to be staying in such heavenly place in Delo. Always welcome to more visits in my beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really are lucky staying in a place like Delo. I'd give anything to see the Himalayas out of my bedroom window everyday :) !!!

      Delete
  4. Did you do the hand gliding there, that is very thrilling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I couldn't do it this time but I've heard that it is one of the best thing to do in Delo so will try it next time :P

      Delete
  5. A real prodigy you are diya....lots of love ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—. We must really learn how beautiful our country is before we venture abroad ....Delo is as beautiful as Switzerland but not many people appreciate it....it must have been a great trip I must say....an earnest request...do keep writing ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A real prodigy you are diya....lots of love ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—. We must really learn how beautiful our country is before we venture abroad ....Delo is as beautiful as Switzerland but not many people appreciate it....it must have been a great trip I must say....an earnest request...do keep writing ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A real prodigy you are diya....lots of love ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—. We must really learn how beautiful our country is before we venture abroad ....Delo is as beautiful as Switzerland but not many people appreciate it....it must have been a great trip I must say....an earnest request...do keep writing ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting Amartya Dada, Delo is a must-visit place. And don't worry, I won't quit blogging anytime soon ;-)

      Delete
  8. This post brings back some very good memories for me. We have stayed at Yuru Retreat and go there every year. The view of the mountains from that terrace is heavenly. Not sure if we can go this year though :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every year? You really are lucky :-). But yes, this year is a complete disaster :-(

      Delete
  9. Arattrika, I keep falling in love with the places you blog about. My bucket list is increasing!! We are blessed to be in India where we have Himalayas and Beaches, Jungles and Deserts, age old Temples and historical monuments, etc. The list is endless...
    Incredible India Indeed!

    Keep travelling, keep writing...
    God bless you dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Asha Aunty. It really is a pleasure to see your comments. India is a diverse country having all sorts of places from the freezing Himalayas to the sweltering Thar desert, India gives a whole new meaning to the saying 'A little bit of everything'!

      Delete
  10. Seems like such a beautiful trip, cute post :-) Hopefully will visit India sometime, after all the present problems are over. Love from Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The virus this year completely spoiled everyone's plans for the summer. Canada is a wonderful place when it's autumn. In India it just feels like Winter :-P

      Delete
  11. Susan Norman MedleyJuly 16, 2020 at 7:54 AM

    Had been to Delo and Lava three years back on our India trip. The view of the ranges is beautiful from there. Was also in Tawang, and it's breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. some of the north-eastern states of India are highly enjoyable because of the cold (but not freezing)climate. Delo wouldn't be same if it was hot there instead of cold.:-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My best ever beach trip

My first ever pets